Welcome to the Milton Keynes Astronomical Society [MKAS]
Our mission: To spread the interest and enjoyment of astronomy to people of all ages in and around Milton Keynes
We find that there is nothing better than to exchange practical experiences gained under our challenging skies. We like most things related to Astronomy and Space. We book speakers to come and enlighten us on their fields of expertise. We have social events throughout the year and love to talk about all things Astronomical
So, come along and have a chat over a cup of coffee at Rectory Cottages, Bletchley and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you!
Upcoming talk: How we'll live on Mars
Colin Stuart: Astronomy speaker and author
Colin is an astronomy author who has talked to over a third of a million people about the universe. His books have sold more than 150,000 copies worldwide and been translated into seventeen languages. He's written over 150 popular science articles for publications including The Guardian, New Scientist, BBC Focus and the European Space Agency.
In recognition of his efforts to popularize astronomy, the asteroid (15347) Colinstuart is named after him and in 2014 he was awarded runner-up in the European Astronomy Journalism Prize. A Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, he's talked about the wonders of the universe on Sky News, BBC News and BBC Radio 5 Live.
You can see more at Colins Website
Join us at MKAS
So, what is MKAS offering you for your subscription?
(currently £26 per annum and concessions £13)
- 26 fortnightly meetings on average per year.
- We aim to invite 5-6 guest speakers to our talk nights each year (Some members will also present their own talks)
- Astromeets are the platform for members to present their observations, ideas or projects to others.
- Occasional trips out to places of astronomical interest.
- In the autumn, a residential observing weekend in Shropshire.
- An annual dinner in March.
- A pre-Christmas social.
- Outreach events in schools, youth and general interest groups.
- Our instruments can be taken on loan for a fee of £2 per fortnight.
- A library of books and current magazines.
- The AGM is held in November.
And of course, visitors are welcome to attend a couple of meetings before considering membership. So, come along and
have a chat over a cup of coffee and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you.
Click here to apply to be a member