Welcome to the Milton Keynes Astronomical Society [MKAS]
Our mission: To spread the interest and enjoyment of astronomy to people of all ages in and around Milton Keynes
We find that there is nothing better than to exchange practical experiences gained under our challenging skies. We like most things related to Astronomy and Space. We book speakers to come and enlighten us on their fields of expertise. We have social events throughout the year and love to talk about all things Astronomical
So, come along and have a chat over a cup of coffee at Rectory Cottages, Bletchley and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you!
Upcoming Astromeet [Retro lookback]
This time we will be looking back at how we did Astro meets in the 80's and 90's. Members will be bringing along 35mm slides with images taken in the pre digital camera era and will present using an old style projector.
Topics presented can cover a wide range of astronomical subjects. Members share:
1) Recent Astro photographs they have taken
2) Observations they have witnessed or recorded
3) Details about places of astronomical interest they may have visited
4) Details about Equipment recently purchased, modified/improved or even restored
5) Short talks on an aspect of astronomy of topical interest
Astromeets are always busy and stimulating evenings and follow an informal format. If you are new to astronomy or to MKAS then these evenings are designed to be welcoming and are an ideal forum to meet members of MKAS and to discuss astronomy We look forward to meeting you
Join us at MKAS
So, what is MKAS offering you for your subscription?
(currently £26 per annum and concessions £13)
- 26 fortnightly meetings on average per year.
- We aim to invite 5-6 guest speakers to our talk nights each year (Some members will also present their own talks)
- Astromeets are the platform for members to present their observations, ideas or projects to others.
- Occasional trips out to places of astronomical interest.
- In the autumn, a residential observing weekend in Shropshire.
- An annual dinner in March.
- A pre-Christmas social.
- Outreach events in schools, youth and general interest groups.
- Our instruments can be taken on loan for a fee of £2 per fortnight.
- A library of books and current magazines.
- The AGM is held in November.
And of course, visitors are welcome to attend a couple of meetings before considering membership. So, come along and
have a chat over a cup of coffee and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you.
Click here to apply to be a member