Welcome to the Milton Keynes Astronomical Society [MKAS]
Our mission: To spread the interest and enjoyment of astronomy to people of all ages in and around Milton Keynes
We find that there is nothing better than to exchange practical experiences gained under our challenging skies. We like most things related to Astronomy and Space. We book speakers to come and enlighten us on their fields of expertise. We have social events throughout the year and love to talk about all things Astronomical
So, come along and have a chat over a cup of coffee at Rectory Cottages, Bletchley and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you!
Upcoming: Online Astromeet
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this Astromeet is being held online using Zoom.
If you want to join our virtual meetings, please email email@example.com for meeting login details on Zoom.
1) Recent Astro photographs they have taken
2) Observations they have witnessed or recorded
3) Details about places of astronomical interest they may have visited
4) Details about Equipment recently purchased, modified/improved or even restored
5) Short talks on an aspect of astronomy of topical interest
Astromeets are always busy and stimulating evenings and follow an informal format. If you are new to astronomy or to MKAS then these evenings are designed to be welcoming and are an ideal forum to meet members of MKAS and to discuss astronomy We look forward to meeting you.
Milton Keynes Astronomical Society has been meeting remotely since June 2020 as public assemblies are not allowed under COVID-19 rules at our usual venue at Rectory Cottages, Bletchley. We are sticking to the framework of our disrupted programme as much as we can and guest speakers are happy to present their talks remotely.
We have decided to open our virtual meetings to visitors as our physical meetings were before this crisis flared up. Same rules apply with 2 meetings permitted before we ask you to consider membership.
Join us at MKAS
So, what is MKAS offering you for your subscription?
(For the duration of the COVID pandemic membership fees will be reduced by 50%. Full memberships are £14 per annum and concessions are £7 per annum)
- 26 fortnightly meetings on average per year.
- We aim to invite 5-6 guest speakers to our talk nights each year (Some members will also present their own talks)
- Astromeets are the platform for members to present their observations, ideas or projects to others.
- Occasional trips out to places of astronomical interest.
- In the autumn, a residential observing weekend in Shropshire.
- An annual dinner in March.
- A pre-Christmas social.
- Outreach events in schools, youth and general interest groups.
- Our instruments can be taken on loan for a fee of £3 per fortnight.
- A library of books and current magazines.
- The AGM is held in November.
And of course, visitors are welcome to attend a couple of meetings before considering membership. So, come along and
have a chat over a cup of coffee and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you.
Click here to apply to be a member