Welcome to the Milton Keynes Astronomical Society [MKAS]
Our mission: To spread the interest and enjoyment of astronomy to people of all ages in and around Milton Keynes
We find that there is nothing better than to exchange practical experiences gained under our challenging skies. We like most things related to Astronomy and Space. We book speakers to come and enlighten us on their fields of expertise. We have social events throughout the year and love to talk about all things Astronomical
So, come along and have a chat over a cup of coffee at Rectory Cottages, Bletchley and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you!
Upcoming TALK: Astronomy Pictures Of the Day (June 2018 - June 2019)
The talk presents a selection of Astronomy Pictures Of the Day (APOD) from the period June 2018 to June 2019. The NASA APOD website on a daily basis highlights a selection of the best images from the astronomical world. These range from images taken from the Hubble Space Telescope Archive to images submitted by amateur astronomers who were at the right place at the right time. It is the presenters privilege to select a suite of images from this resource and introduce them to a wider audience. It would be a shame to leave them to languish in the obscurity of a web vault.
Link to APOD Image of Messier 83 (The Thousand-Ruby Galaxy) featured above
Presented by Mr Pierre Girard
Pierre Girard joined Milton Keynes Astronomical Society in 1982 and have been an active society member and an active observer ever since. He is entering his 20th year as Chairman. In his time, he has measured double stars, built observatories and instruments, photographed the sky in the wide scale in the photographic and digital era, imaged a myriad of individual perennial and transient objects and got satisfaction and pleasure out of it. He also believes in educating the next generation of observers and conducting outreach in schools and general interest groups when possible.
Join us at MKAS
So, what is MKAS offering you for your subscription?
(currently £28 per annum and concessions £14)
- 26 fortnightly meetings on average per year.
- We aim to invite 5-6 guest speakers to our talk nights each year (Some members will also present their own talks)
- Astromeets are the platform for members to present their observations, ideas or projects to others.
- Occasional trips out to places of astronomical interest.
- In the autumn, a residential observing weekend in Shropshire.
- An annual dinner in March.
- A pre-Christmas social.
- Outreach events in schools, youth and general interest groups.
- Our instruments can be taken on loan for a fee of £2 per fortnight.
- A library of books and current magazines.
- The AGM is held in November.
And of course, visitors are welcome to attend a couple of meetings before considering membership. So, come along and
have a chat over a cup of coffee and we'll make out the case that MKAS is the right Society for you.
Click here to apply to be a member